- Steamed carp -- zheng1 you2 蒸鱼
1 whole fresh carp about 1 lb (500g) (or trout and other firm-fleshed fresh-water fish)
4 bamboo shoots sliced
5 tsp. rice wine
2 tbsp lean pork, diced and marinated in sugar
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
4 slices Chinese ham, steamed
4 black mushrooms, sliced and soaked
2 1/2 tbsp lard or vegetable oil
2 tsp. scallions, chopped in 1 -inch sections
1 tsp. ginger, sliced
1. Wash the fish and make 2 to 3 X-shaped slashes on each side. Rub with the rice wine and let marinate. Place on a heat-proof dish and sprinkle with the salt, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and diced pork. Place the ham, lard, scallions, and ginger on top.chinese new year recipes2. Place the dish in a steamer and steam for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through. Discard the scallions and ginger, and serve.
Get more delicious Chinese recipes for Real & Healthy Chinese Cookingchinese new year recipes
- Boiled dumplings -- jiao3 zi 饺子
4 1/2 cups (500 g) flour, sifted Directions:
10 1/2 oz (300 g) lean boneless pork or mutton, minced
1 tsp salt, or to taste
6 1/2 tbsp (100 g) scallions, chopped
2 tsp ginger, chopped
1/8 tsp five-spice powder
1/2 tsp MSG (optional)
1. Mix the flour with 3 1/2 oz (100 ml) of water to make a dough. knead until smooth and let stand for 30 minutes.
2. To prepare the filling, mix the pork or mutton with 7 oz (200 ml) of water and the salt. Stir in one direction until it becomes a paste. Add the scallions and blend well. divide filling into 100 portions.
3. Divide the dough into 4 portions and roll into long rolls. Cut each into 25 pieces. Flatten each piece and roll into 2 inches (5 cm) circles. Place 1 portion of filling in the center of each wrapper and fold the dough over it, making a bonnet-shaped pouch. Pinch the edges together to seal the dumpling. Repeat until all the dough and filling are used. chinese new year recipes
4. Bring 8 cups (2 litres) of water to a boil over high heat, Add half the dumplings. Stir them around gently with a ladel, and let the water return to a boil. Add enough cold water to stop the boiling, then bring back to a boil. When the water boils again, add more cold water and bring to a boil a third time. The dumplings will be done when they float to the surface. Remove, drain well, and serve.
Get more delicious Chinese recipes for Real & Healthy Chinese Cooking
- Sweet sticky rice cake -- nian2 gao1 年糕
This sweet, cake-like Nian Gao has a slightly sticky texture or bite to it. chinese new year recipes
This is a good recipe if you don’t like standing over the stove worrying about the steamer boiling dry, if you don’t want to pan fry lots of pieces, or if you want to share with non-Asians who might be used to a more cake-like cake.
16 oz. Mochiko sweet rice flourDirections:
One stick of butter or 3/4 cup of vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups milk
1 to 1 3/4 cup sugar--depending on if you like it sweeter
1 Tbl baking soda
One can of red azuki beans
1. Mix everything but the beans with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Beat for 2 more minutes at high speed.
2. Sprinkle Mochiko flour over a 9"x13" baking dish that has been oiled or sprayed with Pam
3. Spread half of the batter on the bottom of the baking pan
4. Spread the red azuki beans (you can mix some batter into the beans if they are too thick to spread)
5. Spread the other half of the batter over the red azuki beans
6. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes Get more delicious Chinese recipes for Real & Healthy Chinese Cooking